Surgical Technologists/Scrub Techs are individuals with specialized education who function as members of the surgical team in the role of scrub person. As a member of the Perioperative Team and under the supervision and direction of a Registered Nurse and/or an Anesthesiologist, the CST assists in the delivery of patient care to the surgical patients in a safe and organized manner. This position provides Registered Nurses with support for the delivery of patient care and is accountable to assist the RN and surgeon in preparing for surgical procedures, assist in surgical procedures, and prepare for the next case. The scrub technologist handles the instruments, supplies, and equipment necessary during the surgical procedure. He/she understands the procedure being performed and anticipates the needs of the surgeon. He/she has the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure and is constantly on vigil for maintenance of the sterile field.
- Clean, disinfect and sterilze all urgical instruments
- Maintain a proper sterile field during surgical procedures
- Count sponges, needles, and instruments before and after operation
- Scrub arms and hands and assist the surgical team to scrub and put on gloves, masks, and surgical clothing
- Provide technical assistance to surgeons, surgical nurses, or anesthesiologists
- Prepare patients for surgery, including positioning patients on the operating table and covering them with sterile surgical drapes to prevent exposure
- Hand instruments and supplies to surgeons and surgeons' assistants, hold retractors and cut sutures, and perform ohter tasks as directed by surgeon during operation
- Prepare, care for, and dispose of tissue specimens taken for laboratory analysis
- Wash and sterilze equipment, using germicides adn sterilizers. Monitor and continually assess operating room conditions, including patient and surgical team needs
- Operate, assemble, adjust, or monitor sterilizers, lights, suction machines, or diagnostic equipment to ensure proper operation
- Prepare dressings or bandages and apply or assist with application following surgery
- Clean and restock operating room, gathering and placing equipment and supplies and arranging instruments according to instructions, such as a preference card
- Order surgical supplies
- Observe pattients' vital signs to assess physical condition
- Maintain supply of fluids, such as plasma, saline, blood, or glucose, for during use operations
- Maintain files and reocrds of surgical procedures
CST must have minimum of one (1) year of experience in role in acute care setting. Must have experience with variety of surgical procedures including but not limited to Vascular, Neuro, Endo, Gastro and Orthopedic procedures.
Candidate must demonstrate:
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, team-work, and customer service skills.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and follow-through skills
- Ability to multi-task constantly, react to changes quickly/productively, and tolerate interruptions and demonstrate maturity and accountability
- Ability to perform work when no directions are given, and give directions to others
- Ability to remain flexible, organized, professional and able to analyze, make sound decisions under stressful or crisis situations
High School diploma/GED or equivalent experience required.
Graduate from surgical technology programs accredited through ARC/STSA, a collaborative effort of AST and ACS, by CAAHEP. CAAHEP is a recognized accreditation agency of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
Certified Surgical Technologists (CST) EEO/AA/M/F/D/V - Current Certification from the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).